Monday, May 4, 2015

Selkie Poems

"Songs and Poetry." - Selkies' Skins Official Site. Teresa Garcia's Serial Stories, n.d. Web. 05 May 2015. <http://teresagarciaserials.weebly.com/songs-and-poetry.html>.

Selkie Husband's Tears


Seven tears for my selkie love
Seven tears to call you home
Even if the nine waves us part
If ye live, return ye to this heart.



In this poem, it speaks of what a human female would do to summon upon a selkie-man.


A Selkie's Lament 

by Kirstine "Kirsty" Makay

Sitting by the shore
The water kisses my ankles.
It's the wrong water.


I long to feel it,
That cold arctic sea.

The wind lifts my hair...
When it should tweak whiskers...
And what fur I have, I hide.

It's wrong, all wrong.

This fresh water teases.
It coddles.
It's not mine.

Where are the gulls' cries,
The salt tang and spray?
How many months longer
Till I swim free?

Once I've won my skin,
Once I've claimed my soul...
What then? 


In the end of this poem we notice that it may be a female that has gotten her seal coat taken and she is stuck in her human form, mourning and missing her true life as a seal. She knows that her being in human form is not how she is suppose to be and that her true calling is in the "cold Arctic Sea" with the rest of her people. Alhough, in the need, I sense some contradiction in herself because she knows she doesn't belong on the land, but she is also so far away from home that she wouldn't know where to swim to even if she finds her coat.
Both of these poems tell the parts of how the original selkie myth went such as: the human females having to shed seven tears to summon their selkie-man, and how the females are the ones that get their selkie coats taken and end up mounring over not being able to go back home.




No comments:

Post a Comment